Matt and Kristen's Cozy Page
In September, 2003 my lovely wife, Kristen, ordered a set
of plans for the construction of a Cozy Mark IV as a
combined gift for the year. Soon thereafter, plans #1199
arrived. THANK YOU KRISTEN!!!
We did a lot of looking at different designs before
deciding on the Cozy. The things we wanted were as
- Bring along the whole family (hopefully 4 soon)
carrying enough luggage for weekend excursions.
- Have the range and speed to make the contiguous 48
accessible in a day from our home in Wisconsin.
- Have relatively low operating costs.
- Require no large (>$10k) cash outlays to start the
- Have assurance that parts will always be
Numbers 4 and 5 pretty much eliminated anything but plans
built aircraft. Number 1 narrowed the field to the Cozy or the Bearhawk. Living in
West Central Wisconsin makes a short field aircraft like
the Bearhawk was very tempting. However, the Cozy is enough
better at Number 2 that the canard won out.
As we proceed to the build stage of our plane, I will try
to keep this page current with some of the information
pertinent to our project.
We have the plans, and are currently updating them as per
the newsletters. We will order the first round of materials
as soon as our current project of refitting our 26' cabin
cruiser is complete. Hopefully that will happen late in the
summer of 2004.
Like many other Cozy builder sites out there, I have
organized the pages detailing our build progress by plan
Description and Info
- Bill of Materials
- Building the Fuselage Bulkheads
- Building the Fuselage Sides
- Assembling the Fuselage
- Fuselage Exterior
- Headrests and Seatbelts
- Landing Gear and Landing Brake
Building the Canard
Building the Elevators
- Canard Installation
- Nose, Nosegear and Rudder/Brake Pedals
- Building the Center Section Spar
- Building the Firewall
- Installing the Control System
- Installing the Trim System
Installing the Canopy and Turtleback
- Building the Wings, Ailerons, and Wing Attach
- Building the Winglets and Rudders
- Building the Strakes, Fuel Tanks, and Baggage Space
- Installing the Electrical System
- Installing the Engine
- Installing Covers and Fairings
- Finishing (Painting, etc.)
- Installing the Upholstery
Must-See Cozy related pages:
Interesting propulsion links:
Things that I would like to have to complete the project:
- Plans - Got it! A big thank
HVLP Spray Gun
- Fein Sander - Got it! Thanks
Mom and Dad!
- Band Saw - Got it! Thanks
- Table Saw - Got it! Thanks
- Smart Level - Got it! Thanks
Mom and Dad!
- Drill Press - Got it! Thanks
Mom and Dad!
What do you do with a Cozy? Here is what we plan to do:
- Pack in a kayak and
- Visit our friends and family.